February 1, 2010

Black History Month: The Fashion Edition

Since it's February, I deiced to do a couple of short features for Black History Month. As far as I know, this is something that is primarily in the US, but I wanted to go ahead and do a global spread in short articles. This week I wanted to highlight models who have helped shape the fashion world.



My absolute favorite model today has to be Liya Kebede. From the first time I saw her, I absolutely fell in love with her effortless grace. And what's more to love? She has her own foundation that focuses on improving the health of women and children (especially pregnant women) not just in her native Ethiopia, but around the world. She is able to balance her fashion career with being a role model for her daughter. Go... check out her foundation:
http://www.theliyakebedefoundation.org/




Alek Wek is another model that I really like. She is a Sudanese refugee from the Dinka ethnic group. For me, that right there says a lot about the personal character that she brings to the table in addition to jaw dropping photos. Not to mention that she was the cover girl for MAC's luxury winter collection Stylistics.


I know not everyone likes her and many people think that she's really self centered, but I still love Tyra Banks. I like that she is so focused on giving back to her community and even has a foundation which focuses on building the self-esteem of young girls.


Last, but not least, I also like the work of Chanel Iman. She is still very young in the industry but she can definitely hold her own and is able to talk about the history of the industry and how certain models have been driving forces in the industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog (always much appreciated)! If you would like me to check out your blog feel free to e-mail me. Please be aware that comments with either advertisements or links will be deleted.